Thursday, February 2, 2012

A thought I have been stuck on today

While at work I was having a conversation with my manager about relationships and marriage.  I know this does not pertain to blogging, but I've noticed that many of my friends and their parents are breaking up/ getting a divorce.  Many of these relationships I always thought were close to perfect, but apparently I was wrong.  I know there are a lot of factors as to why each relationship fails, but it's interesting to me because in the 1920s divorce was almost non-existent.  I then realized that perhaps one reason for this is because technology such as TV and the internet did not exist, so families spent more time with each other.  As time progressed and the invention of the TV came, there were only a few channels/shows in black and white but there was still a lot of time for families to spend with each other.  It wasn't until we were able to get color TV when I think families became glued to the "tube" and did less activities (example: board games, sports, etc.).  I know technology is an amazing thing, I mean I sometimes wonder, can we actually get any further than we have?  The answer is always yes, even if we can't imagine what else people are going to invent.  However, I also wonder if it's a huge problem in relationships and marriages?  Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. When we look at or research the effect of blogs on education and society, we are touching on how technology in general effects our lives. Unfortunately finding the cause for more divorces and broken relationships goes far beyond technology. There are so many changes since the 1920's that we can't identify one factor. For example, women have more rights and don't take an inferior position to husbands as much these days. More women work outside their homes these days. Televisions, fast food, air travel, intercontinental communication; all these could be factors. This list is not from research; it's from old age or maturity. It's supported by family, a loving wife and in my case a relationship with a God of love.

    I could wish for you as an individual a life as awesome as mine has been but instead I wish that for everyone.

    ReplyDelete