Monday, January 23, 2012

The Blogging Code of Conduct

Recently I thought about my undergrad experience and the rules and expectations in my courses, and then  I began to wonder if there were any rules in the "blogging world" so I decided to search it.  Apparently the blogging code of conduct (which is still in the process of being finalized) was created in 2007 by a blogger known as Tim O'Reilly.  I'm not sure about everyone else but I have to be organized with everything so rules are more like guidelines to me, and that helps me to be more organized and structured.

The site that I came across written by Tim O'Reilly only talked about the first draft of the blogging code of conduct...I have to agree that the badge (picture shown below) he created is a little bit tacky (in my opinion) but I do love the code.

 http://www.radar.oreilly.com/2007/04/draft-bloggers-code-of-conduct.html


Tim O'Reilly states at the beginning of the code of conduct "We celebrate the blogosphere because it embraces frank and open conversation. But frankness does not have to mean lack of civility. We present this Blogger Code of Conduct in hopes that it helps create a culture that encourages both personal expression and constructive conversation".  The code goes into further detail which you can find on the link that is attached to this blog, however, what I like about it is that the code puts the responsibility on all of us bloggers.  In addition, we all can join in on the creation of the code at http://www.blogging.wikia.com
Civility Enforced Badge

No comments:

Post a Comment