Thursday, January 19, 2012

What is up with this flooding?

While driving to work today towards downtown Salem, I noticed many local businesses who were sand bagging.  There was a line of cars in front and behind me so I had no choice but to keep driving and what do you know, I knew something was about to happen.  I drove through high waters and my poor little Honda started drifting away.  I managed to pull over where a business was and I decided to park and help them out.  At times like these I feel that we should help each other out, be there for our community.  Needless to say I was very late for work, but I didn't care, I knew those that I helped were a little better off and I felt really good about it.

I have an iPhone and I absolutely love it.  I downloaded the FOX12 app on there so I can be up to date on the news.  I noticed that they had evacuated Scio and Turner.  When I got off work I checked my Facebook and all the posts I saw were people that had family living in these two towns and I couldn't help but to feel sad, worried, and wishing I could do something to help them.  Even though I did help people today, I wanted to do more.  This is me asking all of you to help someone out, even if it isn't much a little goes a long way.  Even though I'm not a big fan of Salem, I do appreciate the community and the people in it, so if you see a business that is sand bagging, or someone that needs help crossing the road, lets take a little time out of our busy schedule and do a little something to give back :)  who knows, maybe we can start a positive chain reaction?


1 comment:

  1. Another phase of my life which suffers greatly for a lack of more than 24 hours in a day is my involvement in ORVOAD a statewide organization that coordinates emergencies such as floods. Through this organization I learned that Twitter was actually designed by emergency dispatchers looking for a way on contacting individuals to either evacuate a dangerous setting or respond to a need for help.

    It was our experience as ambulance attendants and leaders of teams to help recover from Hurricane Katrina that moved us into our desire to help others and to prepare for such events. People often ask why we have flares and fire extinguishers in our car. I see you in a very different and much brighter light.

    I know that last paragraph had nothing to do with technology or blogging other than we using a blog to tell the story.

    ReplyDelete